Monday, January 31, 2011

Hate List

Hate List
by Jennifer Brown

She didn't think it would go down like that.

She had no idea he would do it.

She'd only started the list because she needed a way to vent about being bullied and teased.

It wasn't supposed to become what it was.

It wasn't supposed to become a hit list.

It wasn't supposed to become his hit list.

Now, months later, Valerie is left to pick up the pieces of her life, even as many wish her dead.

After all, it was her list to begin with.

After all, he was her boyfriend.

She should have known.

She should have seen.

She should have stopped it.

At least that's what everyone thinks.

Including Valerie.

Final thoughts: Wow.  This one is an intense read.  It brings back memories of Columbine and other school shootings.  I was amazed to find myself not only sympathizing with Valerie, but in some ways empathizing with her, as well.  While I was tremendously lucky to have a few very good, sane friends in high school, I was often an outsider.  I never faced the daily ridicule that were constants for Valerie and Nick, but I saw it regularly as a teacher later in life.  I tried so hard to help those kids.  I hope I made a difference.  And I truly hope that others can read this book, see the victims around them, and step up to offer them hope.  This is a must read, especially for troubled high school students. 

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails