Friday, May 2, 2014

Allegiant

Allegiant
by Veronica Roth

With the truth about their city finally revealed, Tobias and Tris now make the difficult decision to go past the fence that surrounds Chicago and find out what the world is really like.

And it's nothing they could have ever prepared themselves for.

Not only is Chicago not the only city, it's not even the only city that's being used as an experiment.  It turns out that genetic testing created a new breed of haves and have-nots: Genetically Pure (GP) and Genetically Damaged (GD).

Chicago was the first truly successful experiment to try and manipulate the GDs to eventually become GPs.  What are known in the city as Divergent are really the genetics of the GDs finally mutating back to GP.  Tris is the most pure of the GPs and is considered by many outside the fence to be the best hope for the future.

However, Tris doesn't really like the future that is planned, where GDs are subjugated and considered to be inferior to GPs.  

She knows she's got to change the future at any cost.

Final thoughts:  Wow.  That was not how I saw the series going.  This is a complete 180 from what I thought was going to happen and I'm not sure how I feel about it, esp. the not so subtle race metaphors.  Also, there's been a tendency recently in YA Lit to present the love interest's point of view (I blame Stephenie Meyer and the unfinished "Midnight Sun" for that), and this book continues that trend with Tobias having at least half of the book told from his point of view.  I'm not sure I like it.  I missed Tris.  Though there is a good reason for the need by the end of the book, I wish that change in format wasn't there.  I'm good with the book but disappointed with the series overall.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails